My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

Thursday, June 22, 2006

GMAT score estimator

My GMAT prep update:

18th June - GMAT prep 1st CAT - 760 (Q 50 (31 correct, 6 wrong) , V 42 (31 correct, 10 wrong))
22nd June - Kaplan 2nd CAT - 660 (Q 50 (32 correct, 5 wrong) , V 36 (29 correct, 12 wrong))

An interesting observtion - I felt that my performances in the two mock tests were more or less identical. But my Kaplan score was exactly 100 less than my GMAT prep score, and the difference was entirely in the verbal section! The Kaplan quant section is probably a wee bit tougher than the GMAT prep, but they were quite similar to each other. The Kaplan quant questions that I got wrong were all because of my mistakes, and I didn't feel cheated (as I felt with the verbal section)! :-)

The explanations given for many of the Kaplan verbal questions are highly specious, and I seriously doubt whether the GMAT would test such questions. The worth of a mock CAT is measured by its similitude to the real GMAT test, and the Kaplan verbal section fails miserably if it's judged on this parameter. I don't want to alter my way of thinking just to improve my Kaplan scores if doing so could potentially affect my performance in the GMAT. I guess I will do what most others do - add a delta score to the Kaplan score to get the "real" estimate, or more likely just ignore the score altogether.

Oh yeah, here is the GMAT score estimator. You might want to take it with a fistful of salt!

4 Comments:

Blogger Rico's Mom said...

I'm not sure how I feel about that score estimator? I've been taking the Princeton Review practice CATs, maybe I should try some Kaplan ones? Are you using the CD that comes with some books or an on line version?

1:22 PM  
Blogger FSM said...

I am using the CD that comes with the 2006 edition of Kaplan. If you feel that you are getting too overconfident and want to prick your ego a li'l bit, Kaplan tests are the way to go :-)

Hmm Princeton Review CATs... I haven't tried them yet. How are they?

5:27 PM  
Blogger Rico's Mom said...

Princeton Review CATs seem to be alright but a little easy. I'm doing really well on them so that makes me nervous? Maybe I should come to the conclusion that I'm brilliant instead of the conclusion that the Princeton exams are easy? ;-)

10:19 PM  
Blogger GMAT Jedi said...

I found that the Kaplan CDs didn't really change from one year to the next. If you want MBA essay advice, try this site.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home