My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Social life? What's that?

I seem to have forgotten the meaning of that phrase! My life is a hopeless tangle of work and GMAT prep, with brief respites provided by the soccer world cup. I spent Friday evening cussing through yet another Kaplan test. It's almost as if I derive masochistic pleasure from it :-) Anyway, I have one more Kaplan test left and I will complete it this weekend. The artificially low scores of the Kaplan tests have served one very important purpose - preventing me from getting too complacent!

I plan to spend some time this weekend analyzing all the mock CATs that I have taken so far. I don't like analyzing tests ( it's like eating leftovers ;-) ) but I do realize that they are very important.

My assessment of my strengths and weaknesses is as follows:

Quant - I have never scored below 50 in any of the mock tests. My comfort level is very high and I rarely get into time trouble. Being an engineer does have its advantages! I find DS to be relatively tough, simply because it takes more time to analyse all the different permutations and combinations. I have decided not to spend any more time preparing for quant (except as a part of mock tests).

CR - I am good at it, but I still need lots more practice. I am usually able to eliminate 3 of the wrong choices easily, but I sometimes get stuck between the 2 remaining choices. I believe that of all the question types, CR requires the most concentration. I tend to make far more mistakes in CR questions towards the end of the test than at the begining. This could be due to my concentration getting affected by a combination of fatigue and the pressure of the clock ticking away. My strategy is to take more practice tests to increase my mental stamina and to review my time management so that I have a larger buffer towards the end.

RC - I don't think practising RC is going to help me, because I already have a strategy that works for me. I do make a few mistakes, but I feel that the law of diminishing returns has kicked in, and that I am better off spending my time on CR and SC.

SC - my bete noire! I am going to spend the bulk of my preparation efforts on this section. I plan to work through the OG bins and the 1000 SC document (you need to register first in order to download the file, but registration is free).

BTW, today's Kaplan 3rd CAT score - 640 (Q 50 (+33, -4), V 34 (+28, -13)). No surprises there.

I just realized that half of the words in this post are acronyms!

4 Comments:

Blogger FSM said...

I don't have any specific strategy to improve my Kaplan scores. It's not the "real deal", and I am more interested in improving my test taking abilities in general, which will help me with the GMAT. Having said that, my Kaplan scores have actually gone down (740,660, and 640) so my strategies have not been very successful! There is one strategy that I haven't tried yet .. take the test drunk! Haha maybe I will try that tonight.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I got no social life. Work too much and the rest goes to thinking/prepping for admission. But sun is shining and life ain't so bad. Cheers!! : )

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home