My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

Saturday, July 08, 2006

GMAT - check!

FSM, riding back home one sunny day on his motorcycle, realized that he wants to go to B-school next year. After many many hours of toil, he started to score consistently above 750 in his GMAT mock tests and impulsively decided to write the GMAT ASAP. His median score in all tests prior to the GMAT was 740 and his range of scores was 140. If his final GMAT score was five percent greater than the average of all his prior scores, how much did FSM score?

A. 555
B. 666
C. 777
D. 888
E. Insufficient data to answer the question

:-)

Yay! I am done with my GMAT! I booked the test only two days before I actually took it - luckily I was able to find a suitable appointment slot at such short notice. I got a score in line with my expectations (> 750). There were no surprises at all .. I guess I was kind of inured to whole exam process after an overdose of mock tests.

I spent all of 30 minutes preparing for the AWA section by going through a couple of sample essays that I randomly picked from a book (one each for the argument and issue essays). And guess what? I got one of those for my GMAT! That's a probability of 1 /115 :-) However I don't think that mattered much since I am a fairly competent writer and the essay questions are all quite "doable". I would like to reiterate what many others have said before me - if you are confident of your general writing skills, don't bother studying more than a couple of hours for the AWA. The only prerequisites to doing well on the AWA are good ol' common sense and a semi-decent grasp of English grammar.

The 10 minute break between sections is very useful. It is sufficiently long to recharge yourself for the upcoming section. I managed to exceed the break time on both occasions and lost some testing time. However I didn't bother about it because I felt completely refreshed before the start of each new section. I managed to finish both sections comfortably within the alloted time.

I had a very uneventful test session with no surprises whatsoever. Once I was done with the verbal section, I pretty much knew what score I was going to get (+/- 10 points). All in all, it was a satisfactory performance. I got the score that I felt I deserved, so I was neither delighted nor disappointed. The strongest emotion that I felt after the test was one of total relief at getting the GMAT out of the way, more so because my work schedule for next few weeks is going to be very crazy. I had to spend most of my vacation studying, but it was comptletely worth it!

In case you hadn't figured it out, the answer to the question at the top is E :-) (I am not disclosing my exact score because I don't want to compromise my anonymity).

10 Comments:

Blogger Rico's Mom said...

Congratulations! I think your confidence going into the exam is a great advantage. I need to get some of that before taking mine! Hope your vacation was fun! Mine was :)

11:34 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

Great job and well deserved.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Benny said...

congrats!!! a >750 score deserves a celebration.

3:20 PM  
Blogger FSM said...

salsera, acenomad, marina, benny - thanks for your wishes!

I celebrated in an unusual manner after my GMAT - by playing a gruelling 5 set tennis match! For once I had a blast not by getting drunk but by getting high on adrenaline :-)

5:13 PM  
Blogger JatWarrior said...

Congrats! great job. Its an awesome feeling, isnt it :)

10:12 PM  
Blogger StressTensor said...

Congratulations. It feels good, I know but start taking the essays seriously right away so that you are not in my situation ;)

3:16 PM  
Blogger atypical HBS said...

Nice score dude!!!!

I bow to you.

Any tips on the quant?

9:56 AM  
Blogger Inblue said...

congratulations! Great score.That was an interesting way to write the test. I am gonna do the same.

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home