My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

Sunday, July 02, 2006

PR tests

Warning - an excessively detailed (~ boring) analysis of my test performances lies ahead, proceed at your own risk :-)

Princeton Review Test 1: 760 (Q-51 (+35, -2), V-44 (+32, -9))

Of the 9 questions that I got wrong in the verbal section, 4 were from RC, 4 from SC and only one from CR. I am quite pleased that I have improved in sentence correction and critical reasoning. I am not too concerned about RC because I usually do well in that section and this test seems to be an aberration. The sequence of wrong answers was: 8, 14, 26, 27, 32, 38, 39, 40, 41. I had plenty of time left but still got the last 4 questions wrong .. the questions were just too tough. The was a very subtle difference between two of the answer choices in each of the four questions. I don't think any amount of practice would have helped me spot those differences, and unfortunately I guessed wrong each time! However the PR CAT algorithm seems to be very generous when it comes to answering incorrectly towards the end, so I wasn't penalized heavily.

The quant section seemed very easy compared to Kaplan and GMAT Prep. I did make a couple of educated guesses but got both of them right this time. Unfortunately I can't expect the GMAT quant section to be this easy!

Princeton Review Test 2: 750 (Q-51 (+34, -3), V-43 (+35, -6))

The quant section was a bit weird - I got a few tough questions in the mid twenties, and then all of a sudden I got a string of ridiculously easy ones. This was an online test, so I wonder whether PR had inserted a few "test questions" in between that don't count toward the score.

Princeton Review Test 3: 760 (Q-50 (+34, -3), V-46 (+37, -4))

Two very tough questions in quant - got both of them wrong after wasting 6 minutes on each of them! There is NO way I could have solved them within a reasonable amount of time. I am a bit disappointed with myself because I should have identified these questions as "unsolvable" and moved on quickly. Though I didn't get into time trouble in this test, spending 12 minutes on two questions and getting both of them wrong is atrocious. The adaptive nature of the test should allow me to max the section even if I get a couple of questions wrong. My aim is not to get every question right, but to get the maximum possible score!

I am absolutely thrilled with my verbal performance - I got only 4 questions wrong (2 SC, 1 CR and 1 RC)!

7 Comments:

Blogger MBABlogger said...

Wow man ur rocking !!! Good luck

2:31 AM  
Blogger atypical HBS said...

Hey, I see 700+++ in your future man.

6:52 AM  
Blogger FSM said...

mbablogger, acemnomad and guymba - thanks for the comments and wishes! yes I did get 700+ on the GMAT (see next post)!

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

4:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

3:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took Princeton review 1 and managed got Q 51 (+33 -4) and V32 (+31 -10). When I compare with ur PR1 scores, pretty much the same but verbal score is way off! Maybe thats becoz of the 10 wrong once 7 were in RC 1 in CR and rest in SC..

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home