My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

Thursday, July 27, 2006

slow and steady ...

I received my official GMAT score report a few days ago. I got a 5 on the essays, and I can't really complain about it. I think it's good enough not to screw up my otherwise stellar app package :-)

I have made some progress on the school selection front. I have shortlisted 4 schools - Columbia, Chicago, Michigan and Tuck. All four are my "first choice schools" - meaning I don't prefer any one over the others. I will probably develop a preference later when I visit the schools. Regardless of my future order of preference, I will be delighted to attend any of these schools. If I feel confident of my application, I might drop one of the schools (not sure which one yet) and apply to only 3 schools.

I briefly considered adding MSU as a safety school but then dismissed the idea - I am going to do my MBA only once and I want to get the most out of it. I want a school with national (and international) recognition and with a diverse student body. Regional schools just don't have that.

I am making slow but steady progress with the app process. I hope to start my first draft of essays this weekend. I am doing it one school at a time - Chicago's seem to be the easiest to answer, so I will start with those. I have already approached one recommender and he was very supportive. I am yet to contact my second recommender but I am fairly certain that he will accede to my request. Neither of them is my direct supervisor, and I'll probably have to explain this in the additional info section of the application. I like my current job and am not willing to jeopardize it by telling my manager about my plans to go to school. I will eventually have to, but not yet.

7 Comments:

Blogger Forrest Gump said...

you *seem* to have a great profile, and i am surprised to see no biggies in your school choice....any reasons you think you wont be competitive for H/S/W/K ? (or is just that those schools just dont rhyme with your personality) .... just curious ;)

10:53 PM  
Blogger FSM said...

Forrest - you were right about Stanford - I figured that I wouldn't be competitive there. Of course I won't know for sure until I actually apply, but I will go with my instincts here. As for the others, I don't see a good fit at either Harvard or Kellogg. Especially Harvard, because I don't prefer the case study method. I did consider Wharton as my fifth school, but the four schools that I shortlisted seem more appealing. If I have to apply again next year (and I hope I won't have to!), I'll surely apply to W.

12:10 AM  
Blogger FSM said...

BTW I always thought that there were only the big 3 - H/S/W. When did K join this club? :-)

12:12 AM  
Blogger Iday said...

hey - thanks for dropping in at my blog.

Reg the 7 schools - 2 of them are still under consideration for R1. They might get moved to R2. I might end up applying for only 6 schools in R1, out of which i can delay Columbia if i want to.

Hopefully, it should all be okay.

Hows it going at your end??? Hope you are doing fine.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Forrest Gump said...

since the time i got WLed there ;))

Kidding...i just thought remembered the top 10 and was thinking which ones did you not account for. I forgot Sloan though.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

1:45 PM  
Blogger Juggler said...

Congrats on your GMAT!

Nice mix of schools but why not one from top 5?

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home